How import starred list into a flashcard system like Anki

Support forum for our fast, user-friendly offline Chinese language study apps for Google Android devices:

Hanping Chinese Dictionary (Lite & Pro)
Hanping Cantonese Dictionary
Hanping Chinese Camera
Hanping Chinese Popup
jasche

How import starred list into a flashcard system like Anki

Post by jasche »

Hi,

first thanks for this fine App.

I wounder if it is possible to load starred list into a flashcard or spreadsheet system ... I couldnt figure out one :-(

Thanks for Your help in advance

hanping
Site Admin

Re: How import starred list into a flashcard system like Ank

Post by hanping »

Thanks very much for your suggestion. Importing/exporting starred words is on the todo list.

Meanwhile, you could just try exporting the starred.db sqlite database to a text file and then somehow importing it into a spreadsheet program. Unfortunately, I don't have the details handy on how to do this. But it certainly can be done if you have the time and technical knowhow.

TairyGreene

Post by TairyGreene »

Until a couple months ago, I was able to import starred lists into Anki by way of the following procedure:
1. Share as file, Gmail to self
2. Copy/paste entire file to excel document (Chinese characters, pinyin, and definitions were all automatically pasted to separate cells, which is required for the information to be designated to separate "sides" of an Anki card)
3. Download excel file as comma-separated values file
4. Import into Anki

This worked simply and splendidly and is one of the reasons I love Hanping so much. However, I am somehow no longer able to do this, because it seems that the starred list file is now formatted in such a way that all the information corresponding to a single Chinese term (Chinese characters, pinyin, and definition) gets pasted into a single spreadsheet cell, rendering the file and the "share" feature useless to me. Very sad. I'm not sure how to work around this, and I'd appreciate any insights my fellow users might have. I have thousands of words starred and am now unable to make them into flashcards.

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Hi, I'm sorry for the late reply. Only just seen this post.

Oh, I had no idea anyone was using the Share function in that way. Still, there should be an even simpler way to do this. I will look into it.

hanping
Site Admin

Re: How import starred list into a flashcard system like Anki

Post by hanping »

Good news! Hanping Chinese Dictionary Pro 4.6 includes full support for exporting to AnkiDroid. For more info, please read this.