Lost all starred words

Support forum for our fast, user-friendly offline Chinese language study apps for Google Android devices:

Hanping Chinese Dictionary (Lite & Pro)
Hanping Cantonese Dictionary
Hanping Chinese Camera
Hanping Chinese Popup
antun

Lost all starred words

Post by antun »

Hi there,

I recently updated my Hanping Pro dictionary, and after opening it, all my starred words were gone. Previously I had lots of starred words across different tags (people, places, etc.) Now there is nothing.

I just updated again (to 3.4.2) hoping that see if that would fix the problem, but it did not.

Please help. Thanks.

hanping
Site Admin

Re: Lost all starred words

Post by hanping »

UPDATE 30.05.2014: If you are reading this because you cannot see your starred words after updating to 3.8.2, then please read: /2014/05/hanping-chinese-dictionary-pro-3-8-3-released

I'm very sorry to hear your starred words have been lost. FWIW, it is extremely unlikely that the update caused any problems because the starred database code has not changed for almost two years.

The most likely explanation is an sdcard failure.

It is possible that Hanping has created some auto-backups. Please look in the /Android/data/com.embermitre.dictroid/zh/user folder for those.

Other than that, all we can recommend is making regular backups of your data. We will make something more directed towards Hanping in a future update, because we understand that the majority of people (including me!) do not backup their smartphone storage data.

Please let us know if there is anything more that can be done.

antun

Post by antun »

Thanks for the info. The good news is there does appear to be a backup that's very recent, in:

com.embermitre.dictroid.1372495756280/zh/user

Do I just move that starred.db file over to the regular one? Any other files I need to move?

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

That backup was probably created after a file corruption was detected.

First, force Stop Hanping.

Next rename com.embermitre.dictroid/zh/user/starred.db to starred.db.latest

Finally, copy com.embermitre.dictroid.1372495756280/zh/user/starred.db to com.embermitre.dictroid/zh/user/starred.db

antun

Post by antun »

I restored that file and my starred words are back!

Thanks for your help!

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Great news! thanks for reporting back.

antun

Post by antun »

Hi there,

I just lost all my starred words *again*. Here's what happened (I paid close attention to document this).

1. Since I restored the starred words last week, the Hanping dictionary was running fine.
2. On my Android desktop, I have the Hanping Widget. Today, that widget didn't show a character, but instead said "Please run main app".
3. I tapped the widget, and it loaded Hanping Dictionary, with a message saying "Installing latest dictionary and lists".
4. That took about 20 seconds, and when it completed, the Hanping Dictionary was running.
5. I immediately checked my starred section, and it was gone again.

This is exactly what happened last time when the starred words disappeared.

Are you sure that this is related to the SD card? (By the way, I don't install apps on the removable SD card on my phone).

Thanks,

Antun

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

That's very strange, and thanks for recording all the details.

Hanping is getting an error message related to file corruption and so attempts to recreate everything (hence, "please run main app" message).

Please could you read this and try to send me the logs when it happens.

The data is stored on the SD card even if the app is stored in internal storage.

Which device are you using? And which version of Android?

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

The latest version of Hanping Pro (v3.5.0) now includes a backup/restore feature so that people can keep all their starred words, search history etc safe in case of SD card failure or lost/stolen device. Also useful for when you want to transfer this data to a new device.

antun

Post by antun »

Thanks for letting me know; I'll update it.

By the way this hasn't happened since last time..