Feature Requests

Support forum for our fast, user-friendly offline Chinese language study apps for Google Android devices:

Hanping Chinese Dictionary (Lite & Pro)
Hanping Cantonese Dictionary
Hanping Chinese Camera
Hanping Chinese Popup
hanping
Site Admin

Re: Feature Requests

Post by hanping »

Hi - Currently, when you star a word in ABC, it will include the brief definition (i.e. not including example sentences). You can click on the sentence and star that to export it to Anki.

Blitxll

Post by Blitxll »

Please please please, make an apple version of your dictionary. I don’t know how it’s possible but all the dictionaries in the apple store are pure garbage. I loved hanping on my android phone so useful could always find the character I was looking for, or draw it, or take a picture.

You have an amazing product and I’m so sad I can no longer use it. Countless times with other dictionaries I cannot find the correct character even with pinyin.

I hope one day in the near future I can use your dictionary again.

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Thank your for your kind words, and yes I understand your frustration with not being able to use Hanping on iOS. Certainly it's something I'd like to do in the future. Obviously, it's a huge amount of work, so it's not something that will happen in the very near future, unfortunately. Maybe the not-too-distant future though.

hamsolo474

Post by hamsolo474 »

Hello,

Could you please add the Outlier Linguistics Dictionary as a purchasable addon
https://www.outlier-linguistics.com/col ... characters

I much prefer hanping to pleco, the OLD is the only reason I have pleco installed on my phone.

kennethfine

Post by kennethfine »

I would really, really like a dead-simple built-in Flashcard feature. Not everyone wants to futz around with Anki synchronization and templating issues, even former OO software developers and relational dataheads. ;) The dumbest and easiest low-hanging fruit might be to simply have a visibility toggle for the various fields available on the list view when you pull up a list of custom tags: if I could see the Hanzi but hide the pinyin and the definitions, then I could use that as a simple flashcard system by clicking through to the full view when I wanted the answer. (if I could selectivley hide the other fields, I could test myself in other ways: converting the English definition to the Chinese word, for instance.)

Something more robust would be nicer but anything would be appreciated. Alternately, if anyone has a really simple solution for Flashcards they're using, something that avoids the need to futz with templates or sync overmuch, please advise.

Thank you for a great product!

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

hamsolo474 wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 21:03
Could you please add the Outlier Linguistics Dictionary as a purchasable addon
https://www.outlier-linguistics.com/col ... characters
We've requested to license the dictionary from Outlier (we also backed them in their Kickstarter), but sadly they've told us it is not available to us.

Please feel free to contact them to let them know you are interested in this, in the hope that will encourage them to reconsider.

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

kennethfine wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 19:14
I would really, really like a dead-simple built-in Flashcard feature.
Thank you very much for your suggestion. Yes, this has been on the ToDo list for some time now. We will get around to it at some point (and we appreciate the eagerness to get this done) but there are a couple of other features we need to tackle first. Thank you for your patience.

Hpuser

Post by Hpuser »

I love the Hanping dictionary to bits, but I have one major issue with it. I often need to translate quite technical documents, and detailed technical words are not generally found in CC-CEDICT or ABC. I have tried upstreaming definitions to CC-CEDICT, but it's a slow and laborious process, entries are often rejected and then it takes quite some time to get it into Hanping. But, if I've just needed a word, I'll probably need it again very soon. So I often have to go to youdao or termonline.cn (no pinyin!) and maintain a handwritten auxiliary list for whatever I'm doing at the time. Which is a huge huge pain.

What would be really, really great would to be able to add your own dictionaries (in StarDict, CEDICT u8 or whatever format is convenient for your implementation).

Bonus points if you can have a dynamic list in the app that you can add to when you find a word that's not included in your current dictionaries.

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Thank you for your suggestion. Have you tried using Hanping's import vocab feature?

Hpuser

Post by Hpuser »

I tried that, but it seems you can't add definitions to tagged words, only notes. So when you search the Chinese, you don't see the definition (edit, actually the notes do come up after restarting the app). And notes aren't searched, so you can't look up from the English. Also the phrase is only matched exactly, if you're a character short or extra, it doesn't show it at all.

Unless I'm missing something about how the tags work?