Feature Requests

Support forum for our fast, user-friendly offline Chinese language study apps for Google Android devices:

Hanping Chinese Dictionary (Lite & Pro)
Hanping Cantonese Dictionary
Hanping Chinese Camera
Hanping Chinese Popup
hanping
Site Admin

Re: Feature Requests

Post by hanping »

Hi - and thanks for your message.

When you say Hanping C - do you mean Hanping Camera? I'm not sure what you mean. Please explain in more details (maybe screenshots) - probably email best: [email protected]

Regarding the cursor - yes, this is on the ToDo list. It's not easy though.

Thanks!

fedusa

Post by fedusa »

Hanping C = Hanping Cantonese.

It seems the problem I'm describing can be done by switching apps in the hamburger menu so disregard my previous request. Is the Google Translate button your implementation or Google's? In the bottom right of the main entry. http://i.imgur.com/C8DCARZ.png

How about switching between Cantonese and Mandarin in the Popup app? There doesn't appear to be a simple way to do that yet, is there something in the works?

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Hi - the google translate button simply calls up Google Translate to make the translation.

Switching between Mandarin and Cantonese could be easier, right. I wasn't sure how many users would be interested in that. I'll consider your post a +1! Thanks.

skosch

Post by skosch »

Not sure whether either of these have come up, but here are some suggestions for the Canto app on Android:
  • Wherever the definition text for a character contains Chinese text (i.e. to link to synonyms or written/spoken alternatives), the Chinese is given first in traditional and then again in simplified form. For completeness' sake it's great having both available, but for everyday use it would be nice to be able to show only one — i.e. an option in the Settings to "Show traditional Chinese text in definitions only" (vs simplified only, or both).
  • From a learner's perspective it would be very helpful to get an idea how common a particular word or expression is. When looking for the Cantonese equivalent of an English word, there are many alternatives, and it's impossible to tell the "default" one from the more exotic or highbrow ones. Would you consider incorporating the frequencies found in http://ec-concord.ied.edu.hk/hkcc/corpus/listword.php into the app? E.g. some small frequency ranking on the top right of a search result entry — whether it's a percentage, or some other icon-ized visualization. This would be great both as an absolute value (how common is this word?) and as a relative value (out of all these uncommon words in my search result list, which is relatively more common than others?). A UI challenge for sure, but would really make the app stand out over other dictionaries.
  • Sample sentences from CantoDict — probably best not to include them by default, but the option to download them through the settings would be nice. Having them available offline would be a huge deal for learners like myself.
Thanks again for a wonderful tool.

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Thank you for your suggestions.

1. The way this should work is that if your settings are, for example, TRAD [SIMP] then all Chinese text (headwords as well as Chinese embedded in definitions) should be in that form. I really don't want to have different Chinese settings for headwords compared to embedded Chinese. Having said that, I've noticed that a lot of the embedded Chinese is TRAD SIMP jyutping, which isn't great either. At some point I hope to go through the definitions and standardize all this.

2. Indeed a UI challenge. You've probably figured out that frequencies are already incorporated in the app and uses to sort the results appropriately. As with the Mandarin app, I'm reluctant to include actual values in the search results, because absolute values are meaningless anyway. In Mandarin, something like HSK level could help. Maybe something similar in Cantonese could be used?

3. There are surprisingly not that many example sentences in CantoDict, but certainly plenty enough to be useful. I do plan to incorporate them in the not-too-distant future, so stay tuned!

CGL

Post by CGL »

ah!....logged in to see if I could request popup in Cantonese as well....didn't realise until reading the above that I must have already had this ability all this time! (have found it now!!) More a factor of my tech stupidity than anything else, however I too would be grateful for a quick changeover. That said, for now I'm ecstatic that I don't have to scan, copy, open Hanping Cantonese, paste....or try and guess the pronunciation from the mandarin. A similar eureka moment to when I found the first hanping app and could ditch the find-the-radical-then-count-the-strokes Oxford Dictionary...

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Thank you for your kind words. I'll see if I can work in a more convenient switch in a future version - no promises though, because these things are quite tricky to do without overly complicating user interfaces.

jsonp

Post by jsonp »

Another request for zhuyin and pinyin at the same time.

Zhuyin or pinyin can already be added with the headword/next to hanzi in the list view and under hanzi in the translation view. So if that functionality can remain unchanged, it would be really great if the other could be included in the translation view. All you'd be doing is adding a field to the translation/definition row.

List view: (Doesn't need to be changed at all)
Hanzi; pinyin or zhuyin
translation
Definition View:
Hanzi <-- Unchanged
pinyin or zhuyin <-- Unchanged
---
zhuyin or pinyin <-- Added
translation <-- Unchanged
---
example sentences <-- Unchanged

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Thank you for your suggestion. It sounds okay in principle but it's difficult to explain to the user why the Zhuyin appears in the Definition View but not the List view. This would seem like an inconsistency.

ncho

Post by ncho »

Hi, I just bought the Popup app and really love it, it is so much easier to use than Pleco's function. However I feel that it could really use some options for how the handle, uh, handles. I mostly use it in conjunction with Google Books. In that use case (full page of Chiness text with little space) the handle becomes a bit annoying because a) just dragging it around triggers random word popups and b) I cannot make a triggered popup disappear except for finding some empty space.

Ideally, I imagine options so that the handle does not trigger popups when dragged, only on release, and that tapping the handle with an open popup makes it disappear.

If that was possible this thing would be amazing.