Feature Requests

Support forum for our fast, user-friendly offline Chinese language study apps for Google Android devices:

Hanping Chinese Dictionary (Lite & Pro)
Hanping Cantonese Dictionary
Hanping Chinese Camera
Hanping Chinese Popup
kruton

Re: Feature Requests

Post by kruton »

I would like the ability to turn off the tone contour for Yale romanization for the third tone. I've never seen that used for Yale before and it confuses me! :)

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

@kruton Please can you send a screenshot to [email protected]

chineselearner

Post by chineselearner »

Love the Hanping Cantonese app! One thing I really like with the Cantodict website, that i didnt see with the app, is the ability to see both Canto and mandarin pronunciations. Are there plans for that, or would you consider adding that in a future release? Thanks!!!

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Hi and thank you for your suggestion - yes a few people have mentioned this. It's something I'm considering for a future update. Meanwhile, you can long-press on the CD icon next to the definition (second screen) to jump to the entry on the CantoDict website.

sarefo

Post by sarefo »

Right now, there's no obvious way to exit from the tag list (accessed by long-pressing the star). Maybe add a "Save" button next to the "Create Tag…" one? Yes, I can exit it through the android back button, but that is sometimes used to exit without saving, so non-obvious and confusing.

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

@sarefo - Thanks. Probably an OK button would make sense. But then what should be the behaviour of Back button. Either same as it is now, or it should do nothing (i.e. dialog does not close). Probably the former because several people would have already gotten used to that workflow.

Qwerty451

Post by Qwerty451 »

Hi! I found that I always use the same link to eStroke (stroke animation) in the "links" menu when looking up a character, so it always comes on top of the list, and I have to move my hand from bottom to top in order to press that link every time I want to use it (which is quite often).
This move can be a little tough to perform single-handely on a big screen, and seemingly defies the purpose of top-ranking, as the most often used links are the farthest from where the menu-opening button is located.
Would you consider adding the possibility to open the first link of the list (which probably is the most often used one) with a long press on that "links" button, the same way you added the TTS functionality on the audio icon?

Thanks!

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Thanks for the tip! That's a good point. I've been wanting to redesign that section for some time, but haven't got around to it yet. You're absolutely right that it makes no sense to have to travel that far. It's a hangover from the days when the toolbar was at the top of the screen. I would like to be able to press the icon and slide up to the link and then release. A bit like how menu overflow icons work. But that's something for the future.

It's difficult to know which direction to go regarding long-click functionality, because so many users miss it. No small number of users have missed the tagging feature which is accessible via long click on Star button as well as menu item in the overflow menu. The temptation is to go with long-click to configure the single-click behaviour of the button. This is how the star button works. For the audio button is could be some dialog configuring which voices (human or TTS or alternating etc). For Links button, it might be which links to enabled disable, maybe favourites etc (although that seems like overkill right now).

However, since I don't have time right now to do something like that for the Links button, it seems perfectly reasonable to implement it in the way you mention. And especially now with the 4.2 feature where it is simple to switch from one external link to another without having to go back to the Details screen.

sifushano

Post by sifushano »

G'day,

First and foremost ... absolutely love your work. The app is fantastic and is really boosting my understanding and learning of Cantonese.

#========#

#1 Feature request 1: SSL for this website;

#========#

#2 Feature request 2 (my understanding of why it is the way it is perhaps needs elucidating?):

Original search or copy from clipboard may be a Chinese sentence. Sentence may constitute some multi-character words. When you click through to the individual characters of the double character words (or even further into some words and phrases that consist of substrings of multi-character words and phrases), this character/word appears to be as far as you can go before losing the crumbs (two, right?) back to the initial clipboard derived sentence. If you start chasing synonymous characters, antonyms other dialectic options etc., then you can have to go back to clipboard or source to resume. I find that I am losing my mental grouping for how and why these character meanings formed the larger multi-character word(s)/phrases after I have depth-first traversed them and often, their definition, makeup and etymology. Why can't the crumb trail be (optionally even) longer? Perhaps even show the crumb trail?

#========#

#3 Throw in an upvote for the flashcard suggestion.

#========#

Again:
傾心 - kīng sām - admire; fall in love with; cordial; heart-to-heart (lit., "overflowing heart");

Love it! Keep up the fantastic work.

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

@sifushano thanks!

#2 It would be nice to show the hierarchy, but I think it's often more complex than a simple hierarchy (because you can left/right swipe to neighbouring dictionary entries as well as clicking on words/sentences referenced in descriptions etc). After chasing a long trail of words and characters, I often prefer using the top-left back arrow to jump back to the original search, rather than repeatedly pressing the back button.