Why no support for Move to SD Card? [UPDATE: there is now!]

Support forum for our fast, user-friendly offline Chinese language study apps for Google Android devices:

Hanping Chinese Dictionary (Lite & Pro)
Hanping Cantonese Dictionary
Hanping Chinese Camera
Hanping Chinese Popup
hanping
Site Admin

Why no support for Move to SD Card? [UPDATE: there is now!]

Post by hanping »

[UPDATE: this is now support. See this post for more details.]

Unfortunately Android does not allow both Move to SD Card and Widget functionality in the same app (I presume for technical reasons).

Please read this for an in depth discussion:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8555

PeterMcC

Re: Why does Hanping not support Move to SD Card?

Post by PeterMcC »

What if the widget functionality is not a concern? For me, Hanping is a wonderful dictionary, but I have looked at the widgets and have no interest in them.

Is it possible to move the dictionary to SD card and will it still work? I won't even attempt to make the widgets work.

hanping
Site Admin

Re: Why does Hanping not support Move to SD Card?

Post by hanping »

If the Move to SD Card functionality is enabled then:

1. If the app is stored on the SD card, then the widgets will not be available but the rest of the app should function fine
2. If the app is stored on internal memory, then everything works fine (including the widgets)

The biggest problem is that many customers will be confused when they move the app to SD and no longer see their widgets, which will result in a large number of support requests.

I'll have a think about the best way to progress with this. Any more suggestions, are very welcome.