Adding other dictionaries to Hanping

Support forum for our fast, user-friendly offline Chinese language study apps for Google Android devices:

Hanping Chinese Dictionary (Lite & Pro)
Hanping Cantonese Dictionary
Hanping Chinese Camera
Hanping Chinese Popup
daluchris

Adding other dictionaries to Hanping

Post by daluchris »

Is it possible to use other dictionary files with Hanping?
My phone is rooted and I found a file called appcat_100.xml in \data\data\com.embermitre.hanping.app.pro\files\
It mentions CEDICT and also Chinesisch-Deutsch HanDeDict. I am familiar with HanDeDict and would love to use it together with Hanping. Is there a way to add it to the dictionaries?

http://www.chinaboard.de/chinesisch_deutsch.php

hanping
Site Admin

Re: Adding other dictionaries to Hanping

Post by hanping »

Well spotted regarding HanDeDict! That was just something I was experimenting with a long-time ago. HanDeDict has a very similar format to CC-CEDICT. I haven't added the functionality yet because having multiple dictionaries is a lot more difficult to manage (from a coding perspective) and I haven't heard too much demand for it yet...

daluchris

Post by daluchris »

Oh, I see!
I speak German and sometimes it's easier for me to look up a chinese word and see it's meaning in German. I would love to see it in Hanping but I understand that the majority of people wouldn't need it.
As far as I know there isn't an Android app using HanDeDict yet. I will contact the people on http://www.chinaboard.de/ and see if there are more people interested... :)

peter733

Post by peter733 »

i'm also interested. once this feature is implemented, consider me applying as a reseller. there are a lot of international students in china studying chinese who can use this feature.

studychinese

Post by studychinese »

Yes, please, add the Handedict dictionary... I am sure many people would use it. And as for now, I don't see another software to use that on Android. Thought about creating one myself, so better hurry;-)

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I would love additional dictionaries both paid and unpaid.
Two types of dictionaries come to my mind:
1) speciality dictionaries on TCM and classical Chinese.
2) additional language dictionaries like Chinese-German, Chinese-French and Chinese-Chinese.
As I study Chinese more for reading about TCM and Chinese metaphysics, it would be fantastic to have the option of specialized dictionaries as paid add-on. Many of my friends and students would be interested.