[feature request] Hanzi trainer

Support forum for our fast, user-friendly offline Chinese language study apps for Google Android devices:

Hanping Chinese Dictionary (Lite & Pro)
Hanping Cantonese Dictionary
Hanping Chinese Camera
Hanping Chinese Popup
miri83

[feature request] Hanzi trainer

Post by miri83 »

Is there any chance you could integrate a Hanzi trainer into the dictionary?

I reckon since, all the characters are in the dictionary's database anyway, this shouldn't be too hard to implement. Nothing fancy, just a typical flashcard type of thing, where the user would be presented with a character and then would have to give all its Pinyin readings - and maybe perhaps one of its meanings. Then there could be a small statistic to show the user where they are as far as their Hanzi knowledge goes.
You could take this even one step further and make it into a game where the user would be presented with a Pinyin syllable and then would have to draw up as many Hanzi as they know with this particular reading in a certain period of time.
This would definitely be a feature to set the app apart from its competitors - not that there are that many... ;)

I know there are Anki decks out there, but the beauty of having such a functionality integrated into a dictionary is that one could go right into a search that matches words containing a certain character instead of having to switch between apps.

Also, how does a "Hanzi of the day" option in the settings sound to you?

Well, apart from that your app is pretty much perfect. Keep up the good work!
- Miriam

hanping
Site Admin

Re: [feature request] Hanzi trainer

Post by hanping »

Hi, thank you for your suggestion and kind words, and sorry I missed this post until now!

An integrated flashcard system is definitely on the ToDo list although I have a few other things to finish off first.

For "Hanzi of the day" you could just use the home screen widget.

Thanks again. Mark