How to access the app while being in China

Support forum for our fast, user-friendly offline Chinese language study apps for Google Android devices:

Hanping Chinese Dictionary (Lite & Pro)
Hanping Cantonese Dictionary
Hanping Chinese Camera
Hanping Chinese Popup
Ryansege

How to access the app while being in China

Post by Ryansege »

Just curious to know that is that app or play store or any medium will be available while being in China since play store and apps will not be available. so will there be a need for a VPN service to connect to rest of the world and access play store or there will be a place from where APK can be downloaded? Also recommend me a good VPN service to use in China

HBLEY

Re: How to access the app while being in China

Post by HBLEY »

It is there.

I don't know if any vpn will work in China but they are a few which u can try. https://www.bestvpn.co/best-vpn-for-china/

Play Store will not just change region with VPN you have to set up a new region (or change) previous one in order to get the desired Play Store. Although items are almost same. Its not like Apple's App Store.

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Ryansege wrote:
18 Apr 2018, 14:12
Just curious to know that is that app or play store or any medium will be available while being in China since play store and apps will not be available. so will there be a need for a VPN service to connect to rest of the world and access play store or there will be a place from where APK can be downloaded? Also recommend me a good VPN service to use in China
Hi sorry for the slow reply. The app works perfectly well in China with the exception of a few of the "external links" that might be blocked. This is one of the advantages of an app designed to work offline.

However, if you wish to purchase an app (or make an in-app purchase) then you will need to use a VPN (and also have Google Play Store installed). Generally, it's best to get all this done before arriving in China, but a VPN will work just as well.

We recommend ExpressVPN (affiliate link). Personally, I've found this (and I'm using it now) to be the most reliable VPN service in China.

EdmondB

Post by EdmondB »

Is ExpressVPN a reliable VPN btw? I'm going to need this for my trip to China next month so I'd like to avoid any headaches regarding this while I'm there.

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

It's the most reliable one I've used. I had problems one day a month ago, but contacted their support and they were very quick to get everything working again. BTW, if the VPN is not working you might be wondering how you can contact their support (because probably blocked) - fortunately the link we give in the Hanping app ("Traveling to China?") works without a VPN (at least for now!).

However, I would add I met one tourist who was having lots of problems with ExpressVPN (at the same time it was working well for me). I can only put this down to him not updating the ExpressVPN app and possibly not using the best configuration. Also he did not contact support, which would probably have helped things a great deal.

Other than ExpressVPN, you might want to look into VPNs from Chinese company providers, though I don't know any in particular.

You could go there with ExpressVPN plus one other one where you can get a full refund with the initial time period (30 days?) and then cancel the one that doesn't work so well.

MobiusOne

Post by MobiusOne »

Okay, good to know, I was worried about Chinese Internet limitations as well.

lucasbrown

Post by lucasbrown »

hanping wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 01:52
It's the most reliable one I've used. I had problems one day a month ago, but contacted their support and they were very quick to get everything working again. BTW, if the VPN is not working you might be wondering how you can contact their support (because probably blocked) - fortunately the link we give in the Hanping app ("Traveling to China?") works without a VPN (at least for now!).

However, I would add I met one tourist who was having lots of problems with ExpressVPN (at the same time it was working well for me). I can only put this down to him not updating the ExpressVPN app and possibly not using the best configuration. Also he did not contact support, which would probably have helped things a great deal.

Other than ExpressVPN, you might want to look into VPNs from Chinese company providers, though I don't know any in particular.

You could go there with ExpressVPN plus one other one where you can get a full refund with the initial time period (30 days?) and then cancel the one that doesn't work so well.

Yes, you are right ExpressVPN is the most reliable VPN, and it is one of the VPN that works in China, And it's 30 days money-back guarantee to make sure that buying ExpressVPN is completely risk-free. Although it is competitively expensive than its competitors, But believe me ExpressVPN is worth high price,