Hanping Chinese/Cantonese Dictionary Pro/Lite 4.* Bug Report Thread

Support forum for our fast, user-friendly offline Chinese language study apps for Google Android devices:

Hanping Chinese Dictionary (Lite & Pro)
Hanping Cantonese Dictionary
Hanping Chinese Camera
Hanping Chinese Popup
hanping
Site Admin

Hanping Chinese/Cantonese Dictionary Pro/Lite 4.* Bug Report Thread

Post by hanping »

Please post here any issues you come across regarding version 4.0 or later.

Please check you are running the latest version just in case the bug has already been fixed.

Albannach

Re: Hanping Chinese/Cantonese Dictionary Pro/Lite 4.* Bug Report Thread

Post by Albannach »

The last update, to version 4.2.2, has slowed down Hanping Pro considerably on both my Android platforms, the Google Nexus and the HTC Desire 820. It's still usable, but waiting for the dictionary to interact with anything cut and pasted is frustrating. If the text is changed, e.g. by wiping some part of sentences away and reloading, the slow wait for a response is still noticeable, whereas previously the dictionary responded instantly if text were cut.

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Hi - thank you very much reporting this. I have managed to reproduce the bug and the fix (4.2.3) will be available later today.

sifushano

Post by sifushano »

Cantonese Dictionary 4.2.4
Search for helicopter. Returns: 直昇機

Tap 昇 ... gives an entry that states: not in dictionary. (CMP)

Copy to clipboard. The clip monitor recognises and defines the character and takes you to the entry for 昇 with a definition (CD).

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

sifushano wrote:Cantonese Dictionary 4.2.4
Search for helicopter. Returns: 直昇機

Tap 昇 ... gives an entry that states: not in dictionary. (CMP)

Copy to clipboard. The clip monitor recognises and defines the character and takes you to the entry for 昇 with a definition (CD).
Thanks - nice catch!

This is an inconsistency within CantoDict. The "helicopter" entry is actually 直昇機 [--机]. In other words, the second character is 昇 where the Simp and Trad are the same. However, the single character entry is: 昇 [升] and so Hanping needs to decide whether to show a match or not.

Hanping already includes a strategy of how to perform a "fuzzy" match in this scenario. However, you have found a bug, because Hanping retries the match on the simplified character whereas it should retry the match on the traditional character.

This has been fixed in Hanping Cantonese Dictionary 4.3.2 - which should be available in the next day or two.

sifushano

Post by sifushano »

Hanping Cantonese Dictionary 4.3.2

I am not sure if the attached screenshot represents an error in the database or an error in the dictionary entry and, if so, how can that be fixed? This screenshot shows some entries based on a search for "ki " (yale). For another similar one, try searching "*戇*". Look for DOG DOG in the results.
key.png
key.png (55.96 KiB) Viewed 21550 times

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

Thank you for this. I've been looking into the problem and it's quite a lot of work to fix. Still, I'm going to try to get it done!

esquivalience

Post by esquivalience »

I'm very pleased with Hanping Pro Cantonese (recently bought it on recommendation) but there's a problem with the Yale romanisation. Tone 3 should have no accent, but the current app uses the diacritic ǎ,ě,ǒ etc.

The following table [copied from http://www.omniglot.com/] is a good summary of the various Cantonese romanisation schemes, and it shows that the tone should be shown withiut accent.

Is this possibly a mistake based on Mandarin pinyin, which I think does use that accent for its tone 3?

esquivalience

Post by esquivalience »

An afterthought to the above (similar principle but a separate bug) is that the radicals list displays simplified radicals, even if traditional characters are set up.

hanping
Site Admin

Post by hanping »

@sifushano the "kilo" "key" bug has been fixed in 4.5 (released today) - please check to make sure it is okay.
key-after-update.png
key-after-update.png (61.14 KiB) Viewed 21516 times
@esquivalience thanks very much for the heads-up regarding the somewhat embarrassing bug! This is fixed in 4.5.1 available later today. Regarding simplified radicals, this is actually intentional because some people occasionally look up simplified characters even if they are normally only using traditional.